Monday 12 August 2013

Weeks 17 to 21: Nothing prosaic about it

Lights out 

... the firefly  

inside

             ...Peggy Willis Lyles



There is so much to write and so much to express; it is all a bit overwhelming. It successfully keeps me away from penning it down. I think of what to write and how to frame the words when the dogs howl and sleep is nowhere near. I convince myself that I am not being lazy, just confused. I end up not knowing the truth. I try to formulate that entire buzz into coherent thoughts while cooking – I only end up burning the onions. But, like always, a stray dream came to my rescue. Today morning, I dreamt of fully-formed lines of bad poetry; lines happy to embrace all my zig-zag-ness. So here it is. Bad poetry is really always more than what good prose can ever hope to be :P

You are pregnant, the mind, the body (and the doctor) says
She is ‘carrying’ is what my father says
We are expecting a baby is what the husband says
We will be grandparents is what my mother says
You have a bun in the oven is what my friend says
You are preggie is what the Yankee website says

This is to tell you what nobody says

sometimes it feels like the world itself is within
other times, it is just another hollow ball of fear

sometimes, I fall in love with myself anew
other times, I get anxious about all my greys

sometimes, I walk around carefully, afraid to trip
other times, I am even more klutzy than ever

sometimes, I admire my slowly rounding belly
other times, I shrink back from the mirror

sometimes my back screams in protest
other times, it groans just for attention
(which it gets from a doting husband
what’s the harm in adding)

sometimes, I feel like I can climb a mountain, waddle and all
other times, I cannot even wiggle a toe

sometimes, I cackle at the oddest things
other times, I bawl even louder than soap heroines
sometimes every song holds a special meaning
other times, even music is alien

sometimes I feel like making love all night
other times, I want to simply curl over

sometimes, I want the whole world to know
other times, I want to hug this little secret

sometimes I feel I can forgive the whole world
and welcome it with a crushing hug
other times, I want to be left alone
just alone, just alone

sometimes, the wait feels magical
other times, I want the baby to be here now.

sometimes I wish fervently it is a boy
other times, I dream of colourful hair ribbons

sometimes, I look into his eyes and want all of him repeated
other times, I want the baby to be all like me, just like me.

sometimes I feel I will be the best mamma ever
other times, the very thought makes my hand clammy

sometimes, it all feels too momentous to contain
other times, I want to pretend it’s just another year

sometimes it feels like the beginning of a story
other times, it feels like the end of a long chapter.

sometimes I get lost in these whorls
of sometimes and other times
that’s when from under the lining of my skin,
there comes a little tap
a feather-light drumming of life
a butterfly eager to flutter

then I know, all over again.
I crave all the sometimes and
even love all the other times

I simply don’t want to be anyplace else.


As always, a song for the occasion and one for the road.





 

No comments:

Post a Comment